Friday, October 18, 2013

Foodie Friday: "Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies!"

A couple of weeks ago we had some friends over for dinner and I was really craving a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. This is not normal for me, as I tent to be more of a regular-chocolate-chip cookie kind of girl with the occasional iced sugar cookie {generally around Christmas time, as icing sugar cookies for Santa is a family tradition}.

However, I've recently been an oatmeal-a-holic. Here are two instagram posts for proof:

^^ Whhyyy am I obsessing over all-things-oats right now?! Weird.

So, as I was perusing ye ole pinterest for oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipes, I found a different recipe that caught my eye. Pumpkin chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. I love all of those words. So, I figured I'd give them a try!

YUM. These things turned out deeee-lish. Even my mom & husband, non-pumpkin-lovers, were obsessing over these yummy treats. Fortunately, they were pretty easy to make. I have a feeling that they are going to become a fall dessert staple in the DeCrib from here on out {DeCrib = DeClue House... sorry if you didn't follow. It's my location name for the house on instagram}.

Here's what you'll need:

3 cups rolled oats
2 cups all-purpose flour {or 1 cup white/1 cup wheat if you prefer to go a bit healthier}
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips {or more to your liking}


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Set aside.


3. Using an electric mixer {or a crazy hand/futuristic-looking mixer stick like the one someone gave us as a wedding gift and I'm scared to death to use}, combine softened butter and sugars and cream together until light and fluffy. I was quite nervous about this step. I am not super comfortable with this strange hand mixer and I didn't exactly know what "cream" meant or what "light and fluffy" should look like. But whatever I did, it worked. Because as I said, deliciousness was the end result.


4. Add your egg followed by vanilla and pumpkin. This is what my "light and fluffy" looked like. Then I just stirred the other 3 things in by hand.


5. Add the flour mixture a bit at a time until well-combined. Then add chocolate chips.


6. Spoon onto an ungreased baking sheet. Here's a trick that I use {Jackie, my slightly perfectionistic friend, if you're reading this you'll want to ignore the next part}: I like to have mine a little lumpy. Like, crispy on the edges and soft in the middle, a.k.a. not perfectly round... So, I spoon them onto the baking sheet this way. If you like them like that too, don't round them off with your spoon! If you think I'm weird {Jackie, you can tune back in now}, then do it how you'd like.


7. Bake for 10-12 minutes {less is best} and cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet. Then, transfer to a wire rack. And voila!!!

{P.S. for another amazing fall recipe, check out the Foodie Friday I did back in August: "Fall-Inspired Chocolate Chip Banana Bread!" A recipe from my good friend and old college roommate Abby, who happened to be there to try these cookies the night they were created.}


Happy Baking!


No comments:

Post a Comment