Sunday, September 29, 2013

An Ode to Coffee

{I think technically an "ode" is a poem. However, I'm not feeling very poetic at the moment, seeing as how it is almost time for my weekly Sunday siesta.}

Happy National Coffee Day! Who knew, right? And if you are reading this after today, 9/29, just consider it National Coffee Week and go treat yourself with some yummy coffee drinks or coffee-flavored things.

I didn't start drinking coffee until college. Growing up, my dad made coffee every morning before he left for the day and I always woke up to the scent of it. Because of this, I have always loved the smell of all-things-coffee.

Ty has been a committed coffee drinker for a long time - like, total addict. Whether or not this is a good or bad thing, I am not sure. He justifies it by mentioning all of the other terrible habits that people take part in {smoking, drinking, eating crappy foods, etc.} and claims that it is a "natural" drink since it is just beans and water. Buuuuut, even a good thing can turn bad when done in excess {i.e. needing a gi-GANTIC thermos just for the morning commute to work // or making 7 k-cups in one day - which is also quite costly.}
^^ Ty's thermos looked exactly like this one. When he used to work at O'Reilly he would fill this up in the morning with an entire pot and it would be gone by the time he arrived at work.

When I first started drinking coffee, I went for the "girly" coffee drinks. White chocolate mochas. Caramel Frapps. Turtle Lattes. I still think these are all delicious, but when my calorie count in my coffee drink equals three pieces of cake, my waistline begins to have a problem.

Then I discovered the best flavor of all. . . HAZEL-to-the-NUT, yo. 
^^ I am officially obsessed. Coffee + hazelnut flavor + just a little cream/sugar? You've got yourself a winner.

This summer I discovered a great coffee drink for hot, summery days: iced coffee with hazelnut! I would brew one k-cup {light roast - like a breakfast blend} + a cup of ice + about 1/2 cup of skim milk + a dash of hazelnut. Delish! A great alternative to a hot cup of coffee in the morning.


If I don't make coffee at home and I want some on my way to work, I usually go to Mickey D's for a cup of joe. I really like the taste of their coffee. Their hazelnut iced coffee is great; it may even beat my DIY recipe I do at home. Aaand if I'm feeling like a calorie splurge, their caramel frappe is so yummy! It is almost like a dessert!!

^^ The whole McCafe menu is pretty McStinkin' good.

Another personal favorite is coffee-flavored ice cream! I can't drive past a Braum's without stopping and getting a scoop of their Cappuccino Chunky Chocolate Frozen Yogurt {it's a mouth-full to say so Ty loooooves when he gets to order it for me in the drive through}. If you haven't tried it and you like all of those words stop and get a scoop the next time you drive by. You won't be sorry! Best part? It's sugar-free but does not taste like it. :)
^^ Best coffee-flavored fro-yo ever.
and it's sugar-free.
and cheap.

Happy Coffee Day!

2 comments:

  1. I have always been a devoted McD's coffee lover, BUT recently tried Sonic's new brew...AMAZING! And this morning I got it with Hazelnut - just like you suggested...even better than the french vanilla I have been enjoying!! You should give Sonic a go...let me know what you think!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan,
    Yes, technically, an ode is a poem in praise of something, but I think you got the "praise" part down, even though you didn't break into any rhyming couplets. (You did get some hip rhythm with that "Hazel-to-the-NUT-yo" comment...big grin).
    I'm not a coffee person, but I appreciate your appreciation. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete