Sunday, September 8, 2013

A File Cabinet DIY

Yesterday was my ideal kind of Saturday. We slept in, ate breakfast, and didn't have any plans. I don't know how long it has been since we had a free weekend and I was thankful for it!

After much careful thought and consideration on what we would spend our time doing for the day, we remembered that Ty had purchased this used file cabinet in Springfield at a thrift store and it needed a little t/l/c. He has been working on setting up a home office and has needed a file cabinet to store some of his super important documents.... {Like fantasy football draft records? I'm not positive.}

It was a great find; he found it at the Habitat for Humanity store and only paid $15.00 for the thing because the lock was locked and there was no key with it. So, not only did he get this for $15, he also now had an excuse to break into something with his high-powered man tools!!!

He successfully removed the lock and wah-la! {We even got three bonus hanging file folders. Score.}

So here is what we're working with before the updates took place:


{Uggg-uh-leee.}

Being the expert spray-painter that I am, I was nominated by my better half to be the one to do the painting. I used a can of Krylon oil-rubbed-bronze paint that we already had {see below}. I removed the hardware on the drawers, washed it down to remove any dust or other unknown substances and got to spraying paint...



After several extremely hot minutes in the garage...

and {a little while later} a few minutes to re-install the hardware on the drawers...

here is the finished product:


I had to catch Ty, as he was already hauling it inside to his office when I stopped him so I could take a pic! What a difference!! The best part? We saw some new ones at Staples this exact size for ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS. Whaaaaat?! That's nuts.


The drawer labels: "important." & "not important." ;)

I hope you had a fun and happy Saturday, too.

2 comments:

  1. Nice!!!! I have a file cabinet in my classroom that could use some of your "expert spray-painter"-ness... big grin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, what a great bargain! And I bet your husband had some serious fun in dealing with that key-less lock. As for the cabinet, you can claim the "expert spray-painter" title all you want, because you did and amazing job at it! Nice labels, by the way. Have a happy April!

    Ruby @ Williams Data Management

    ReplyDelete