Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Day... The iPhone Died

Please tell me you were singing the blog title to the tune of that line from "American Pie," because I certainly was when I typed it! Yes, my new baby iPhone - only two months old - had a slow, painful death over the weekend and finally breathed it's last on Monday morning. Just a couple of weeks ago Ty and I were talking about ways to save money and we mentioned downgrading to "un-smart" phones. NO WAY. NOT AFTER THIS WEEK. I have had an iPhone (first a 4 and now a 5) since my sophomore year of college, so about 4 years. I hate admitting this, but I know there are several of you that are right there with me: I depend so heavily on that stupid piece of technology it is ridiculous. Holy cow. I honestly did not realize how bad my addiction had become until this week.

Luckily, AT&T loaned me a phone until my iPhone got replaced (it would take 1-2 weeks!). Oh the loaner phone... So basic. So boring.

After living without it for over a week, here are the top five things I missed about my iPhone:

1. My Contacts - I seriously know about 3 people's phone numbers by memory. 
That is pretty sad!

2. Convenient Texting - I now have more empathy for my father, an "un-smart" phone owner, who sends us all texts like this: C U 2NITE ? or MVIE @ HME L8R ? (translated: Movie at home later?) Side Note: He does, however, gloat about that fact that his "un-smart" flip phone is virtually indestructible. The sales lady sold it to him based on the fact that, because it is water proof, he can talk on it in the shower if need be. So my question for him was: When would that ever be the need? I hope to never receive one of THOSE phone calls.

2. Instagram - This is my favorite social media outlet. And one that cannot be fully accessed on the internet. I have such fun taking & editing daily pictures to document the "goings-on" in our lives! I also love keeping up with the friends' pictures to see what they are up to! This was hard to be away from.

3. Pandora - Whether I am working out, cleaning the house, or just hanging out I (almost) always have my phone playing one of my favorite pandora stations on my iHome. If you don't know, I like music a little bit & having some background music keeps me motivated and makes boring tasks seem more FUN!

5. Solitaire Blitz (my new obsession) and Nerts (another card game obsession) - Thanks to my MIL, I have been obsessed with the game Solitaire Blitz this summer (WARNING: Do not get this app if you do not have lots spare time to waste playing it devote to it!). I also love the card game Nerts and I found a pretty good version of it and play it when I need a break from Solitaire Blitz.

There is a phrase that I see today: "First World Problem." Simply put, there are struggles that we face that are pathetic to even categorize as a "struggle" when people all over the world endure real struggles and difficulties in their lives. The inconveniences that I have faced over the last several days have no doubt been first world problems. 

There is a part of me that wishes that I had lived in an earlier time period. Life seems like it was so much simpler and slower in the "good old days." I really dislike the fact that until I die, I will likely always have some piece of technology in the form of a cell phone constantly attached to me, but I suppose it is what it is. I will, however, be quite ecstatic to get my new iPhone in the mail and be able to continue on with normal life, however very complicated and fast-paced that life may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment